Dawn’s roots lie in our community:
- Having raised three children in the area, she understands the issues that concern ordinary working families in New Westminster
- Dawn lives in New Westminster with her husband Peter. She is the proud mother of three sons, Stuart, Matthew and David, and a grandmother to seven young grandchildren, Christopher, Ian, Meagan, Lauren, Kate, Maggie and Becca.
Dawn takes action locally:
- Dawn understands that families want action, which is why she regularly speaks out in the House of Commons on issues that matter to you and she’s doing the same thing in the provincial Legislature
- Dawn attends community events and activities to support our community and stay connected.
- Dawn holds regular forums for folks in our community to discuss issues like?
- Got a petition or problem you’re trying to solve, let us know.
Dawn is an experienced community leader:
- Dawn was the Member of Parliament for New Westminster—Burnaby from 1988 to 1993, and was re-elected for New Westminster—Coquitlam in 2006, serving until being elected MLA for New Westminster.
- Dawn served as a Member of the Board of the Justice Institute of BC, Habitat for Humanity, the Progressive Housing Society and Legal Services BC
- Dawn is an effective representative and vocal advocate for her constituents
Dawn on the world stage:
- Dawn is a member of the Greater Van Gogos – a grandmothers’ group that works with African grandmothers raising grandchildren orphaned by AIDS
- Participated in democracy training missions to Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cambodia and Vietnam
- Canadian delegate to the UN Convention on Human Rights in Geneva
Dawn works for equality:
- Following the murder of 14 women at École Polytechnique in Montreal in 1989, she won all-party support for her private member’s bill to recognize December 6 as a National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
- Contributed to ground-breaking reports on violence against women and breast cancer. The study on breast cancer resulted in a $25 million increase for research to find a cure
- Played a key role in formulating anti-stalking legislation